Small quilts - part 3 - springtime

Small quilts are really a great exercise in artistic expression.  One has about the size of a page of paper to work with - I enjoy working in a small area to express a feeling and to capture an image that I want to remember.  In another part of my life I am beginning to work with an illustrated journal.  I see the small quilts and the illustrated journal as part of my journey using art/craft to mark my life.  I think both are deeply spiritual for me because I work with themes of life, beauty, sadness, joy, laughter, loss and work.  I find each quilt and journal entry is an exercise in mindfulness if I allow it to be.




I like to think that as I develop my skills in drawing and watercolor, I can apply that to quilts as well. 
This lovely little entry was the first in my new illustrated journal.  I am gathering ideas.   I used watercolor pencils and pen and ink.


Quilt shops occasionally have challenges and over the years I have entered a few.  The mandatory fabric was the lady bug fabric I used in the border behind the rhody leaves.  It made a nice frame.  I like the visual effect the frame provides.  It supports the rhody leaves and makes it a stronger composition in my opinion.  I have always loved the strong leaves on the rhododendron.  Being a native of a state where they grow so well, I have seen and loved many over the years.  We lived in Olympia for many years and each year would walk through a private rhododendron garden that opened during bloom-time.  I loved taking the time to visit the Zabel's garden, a place that was a treasure and lovingly shared with the community each May.  This quilt reminds me of the Zabel's and how much I learned from those yearly visits about this amazing plant.  I used ruching to create the red flower. Ruching is a technique that is often associated with women's wear in centuries past and is often seen on Crazy Quilts.  I have used it in several of my journal quilts.  I will post another small quilt that has ruching in a future post.  I created the label for this using art paper and stamps.


My final quilt in tonight's post is what I am calling Yin Yang Leaf.  I created this in an on-line class that I took to explore making journal quilts.  I love the imagery and the play on color and the sun being held in the grass.  I used bead and ribbons to embellish and some of my precious hand dyed fabric (the lighter greens).  The quilt has nice balance, the large shape is flanked by the smaller two.  It is about 12 inches square.  It remains one of my favorite early small pieces.  The quilting is primitive and simple.

I thought I would close with another image from my illustrated journal.  In my last post I talked about going to the cemetery with my sister Dana.  We are always looking at grave markers, some we see regularly.  We came across a grave with a collection of heart shaped stones on the grave marker.  I loved the image  I took a photo and a few days later created this entry in my journal.  It created a depth of connection that I would have missed if I had just walked by and thought about it for a few minutes.



Thanks for reading.  I hope you take time for some art of your own!



Comments

Popular Posts